Acclaimed guitarist Bill Frisell has announced his newest project Valentine — the debut recording of his trio with bassist Thomas Morgan and drummer Rudy Royston — which will be released August 14 on Blue Note Records.
Produced by his longtime collaborator Lee Townsend and recorded by Tucker Martine at Flora Recording in Portland, Oregon, Valentine is a wide-ranging 13-song set that mixes Frisell originals new and old, jazz standards, traditional songs, and covers. The album explores the creative freedom of the trio format and the profound relationship that exists between these three musicians after years of touring.
1. Baba Drame (Boubacar Traore)
2. Hour Glass (Bill Frisell)
3. Valentine (Frisell)
4. Levees (Frisell)
5. Winter Always Turns To Spring (Frisell)
6. Keep Your Eyes Open (Frisell)
7. A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing (Billy Strayhorn)
8. Electricity (Frisell)
9. Wagon Wheels (Billy Hill/Peter DeRose)
10. Aunt Mary (Frisell)
11. What The World Needs Now Is Love (Burt Bacharach/Hal David)
12. Where Do We Go? (Frisell)
13. We Shall Overcome (Traditional)