Riccardo Chailly / Filarmonica della Scala
Riccardo Chailly and the Filarmonica della Scala continue their acclaimed series celebrating the great Italian composers with Respighi.
The release offers a curated programme of early rarities and the sparklingly evocative Pines and Fountains of Rome.
This new recording sets out to present the full complexity of Respighi’s image as well as the richness of his oeuvre by showcasing two “triptychs” of his works: three little-known pieces from among his juvenilia, and three compositions from his maturity including two from his famous Roman trilogy. 30 years of music are represented, spanning almost the entirety of Respighi’s output, from his student years to the three decades of his later years from which the featured works represent outstanding examples.
Pina di Roma P.141
1. i. I pini di Villa Borghese, allegretto vivace
2. ii. I pini presso una catacomba, lento
3. iii. I pini del Gianicolo, lento
4. iv. I pini della Via Appia, tempo di marcia
5. Aria per Archi
6. Leggenda per violin e orchestra P.036
7. Di Sera (adagio per piccolo orchestra)
Antiche Danze ed Arie per Liuto, Suite III, P.172
8. i. Italiana
9. ii. Arie di corte
10. iii. Siciliana
11. iv. Passacaglia
Fontane di Roma
12. i. La fontana di Valle Giulia all'Alba
13. ii. La fontana del Tritone al mattino
14. iii. La fontana di Trevi al meriggio
15. iv. La fontana di Villa Medici al tramonto